How to paint your garden furniture to make it look like new ✔️
Has your garden furniture lost its shine? Do you want them to look brand new again?
Repainting protects the wood and provides a durable finish that helps resist weathering and keep the furniture in good condition.
How do you varnish wood?
Before you apply the wood stain, you should completely remove existing varnish, oil, dust, dirt, grease, wax, bumps and sticky material.
Your work area should be free of dust and dirt, otherwise dirt can form on the newly painted surface.
It is best to use a brush with natural bristles rather than synthetic ones. Alternatively, you can also use the paint rollers from our Paint Set .
Choose your shade. If you want to keep the natural look, choose colorless wood stain. Or should a new color freshen up your garden?
7 tips for painting wood
1) Choose a day when the weather is not too humid. In damp or cold conditions, paint dries more slowly and dust and dirt are more likely to settle on the painted areas. If you work indoors, you should aim for a room temperature between 20 and 25°C. If the room is too hot, the paint dries too quickly and unsightly bubbles can form.
2) Remove any existing varnish and dirt. Sand the wood with fine sandpaper to remove surface imperfections. Then use a damp cloth to remove residue and let the wood dry.
3) If a Farbenlöwe product is used, the first coat can be thinned with 5 - 10% of Farbenlöwe alkyl resin thinner 700 if necessary be diluted. Let it dry for 24 hours. Then roughen the surfaces with fine sandpaper and wipe them with a damp cloth to remove the dust.
4) Apply your first coat of clean polish and let it dry completely. DThe drying takes place after 3-8 hours. To get a natural look, paint with the grain of the wood.
5) Apply as many more layers as you need. Generally one to two coats is sufficient, but additional coats can be applied for greater depth, using gentle sanding between coats. The last layer should not be sanded to preserve the shine.
Do you feel well prepared to paint your garden furniture?
Take a look at our selection of high-quality exterior wood stains. Choose from over 200 RAL colors.
Please also note our helpful application notes.