Repainting protects the wood and provides a long-lasting finish that helps prevent weathering and keeps the furniture in good condition.
How do you paint wood?
Before you apply the wood stain, you should completely remove any existing varnish, oil, dust, dirt, grease, wax, unevenness and sticky material.
Your work area should be free of dust and dirt, otherwise contamination can form on the newly painted surface.
It is best to use a brush with natural rather than synthetic bristles. Alternatively, you can also use the paint rollers from our Colour Lion painting set .
Choose your color. If you want to maintain the natural look, choose colorless wood stain. Or should a new color freshen up your garden?
7 tips for painting wood
1) Choose a day when the weather is not too humid. In damp or cold conditions, paint will dry more slowly and there is a greater chance of dust and dirt settling on the painted areas. If you work indoors, you should aim for a room temperature between 20 and 25°C. If the room is too hot, the paint will dry too quickly and unsightly bubbles can form.
2) Remove all existing paint and contamination. Sand the wood with fine sandpaper to remove surface imperfections. Then use a damp cloth to remove any residue and allow the wood to dry.
3) If a Farbenlöwe product is used, the first coat can be diluted if necessary with 5 - 10% of the Farbenlöwe alkyl resin thinner 700. Let it dry for 24 hours. Then roughen the surfaces with fine sandpaper and wipe them with a damp cloth to remove the dust.
4) Apply your first coat of pure varnish and allow it to dry completely. The drying takes place after just 3-8 hours. To get a natural look, paint with the grain of the wood.
5) Apply as many more coats as you need. Generally one to two coats are sufficient, but for greater depth, additional coats may be applied, with gentle sanding between each coat. The final layer should not be sanded to maintain the shine.
Do you feel well prepared for painting your garden furniture?
Take a look at our selection of high quality wood stains for outdoor use. Choose from over 200 RAL colors.
Please also note our helpful application instructions.